Recently, we’ve been looking at the UKATA Asbestos Awareness Syllabus and how it relates to online asbestos awareness courses. If you want to recap on past posts in the series, you can take a look at:
- UKATA’s set of terms for their asbestos awareness syllabus
- Course outcomes
- Properties, Risks and Effects on Health
Avoiding the risks from asbestos
In this post, we’ll look at UKATA’s requirements for content relating to how to avoid risks from asbestos. This also relates to our blog post on the risks of working with asbestos which deals with the subject matter in more depth. Today, we will just look at UKATA outline for content.
What does the UKATA syllabus specify?
The syllabus requires that any asbestos awareness course should cover this section as follows. The candidate should be able to:
- Describe the risks of fibre release from asbestos coatings, insulation, asbestos insulating board, asbestos cement and other asbestos containing materials
- Demonstrate an awareness of how they would find information about the presence of asbestos before starting work
- Explain the general emergency arrangements to be used in the event that asbestos or ACMs are discovered during the course of works.
UKATA recommend that approximately 15 minutes should be devoted to this content.