Got a question? Call us on 07772 557635.
To get the best experience from this site, you'll need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

Asbestos Training – which category do you need?

If you are confused or wondering what type of asbestos training you need, this short guide should hopefully point you in the right direction.

The HSE identify three categories of asbestos training:

Workers and supervisors must be able to recognise asbestos containing materials (ACMs) and know what to do if they come across them in order to protect themselves and others.

In itself, training is not enough to ensure competence. This can only be developed over time through a combination of training and experience, as well as on the job learning.

How do you know which training you need?

The right training for you depends on your role and the type of work you carry out. It may be that you can make use of a training needs analysis to identify the right level of training. However, we’ll summarise the three categories in order to provide you with some guidance.

Asbestos awareness

UKATA classify asbestos awareness training as Category A. They summarise this as

If you have no intention of removing asbestos but work on buildings built or refurbished before the year 2000, asbestos could be present.  You will need awareness training so you know how to avoid the risks.


The main objective of asbestos awareness training is to provide you with enough information to ensure you avoid disturbing asbestos during the course of your work. It is not intended to prepare you for work involving asbestos containing materials. If your work is likely to mean that you’ll disturb asbestos then you will need additional training.

For more details on what’s contained in our asbestos awareness course, take a look at this post. In the next couple of posts we’ll look at asbestos training Categories B and C.